October 28, 2007

Slow Recovery

I am actually writing this from the Family Lounge at Mott Hospital as we have not yet brought Niklas home. The surgery went very well. In fact, the surgeon told us that he could not be more pleased. Niklas woke up in the recovery room a happy camper and immediately scarfed down 6 o.z. of formula. It looked as if we would be coming home first thing Saturday morning. Around 11 p.m. he spiked a low grade fever and wasn't able to hold down anymore food. On Saturday it was hit or miss as to whether or not he could eat without puking. Although we were stuck in the hospital another night, things looked like they were improving and that we would be able to come home on Sunday. Last night he slept wonderfully and I was really thinking that he would eat today and be ready to go home. Unfortunately, as of 1:00 p.m., he has still not been able to hold down a meal. He is happy, smiling and acting completely like himself, but he just has a hard time eating. The doctor's surmised that it may be constipation as his belly was sensitive to the touch. The surgeons are pretty confident that this nausea is not neurological as they said they couldn't even justify a CAT scan on a kid that looked as good as Niklas. It seems as though his digestive system has just not started working fully since the surgery. Finally about 12:00 today he passed through what we think was bothering him and we are praying that things start getting better from here on out.


jel & mmb said...

gigi and jason -

i am thinking of you guys and little nik. let me know if there is anything i can do.

love you all


Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. You and Greta are great parents. I'll keep you in my prayers. Look forward to seeing you both home tomorrow.

Love Granny

Anonymous said...

We have been waiting for an update! We will pray that he can go home very soon! He is such a trooper - great kid! We have the babies as part of our slide show screen saver. Soooo cute! The Davis Family