March 10, 2007

Floyd Comes Home!

Niklas was originally scheduled to have surgery on Wednesday, but got bumped to Thursday. On Thursday he was taken to the operating room at 8:00 a.m., but he didn't actually go into surgery until about 10:00 a.m. I was given a pager at U of M so that I could roam the hospital until Niklas was done. At 12:00 p.m. I got the page and found the nearest courtesy phone. The lady on the other end said "Mr. Myers, I am so glad that I gave you this pager, otherwise I don't know how we would have found you. Please come to the waiting room, the neurosurgeons would like to talk to you." So, I just about had a heart attack right there on the spot. I figured something went wrong and they were going to explain it all to me. Probably put me on a comfy couch and have a talk with me about what I could expect. The lady sounded so worried on the phone that it had to be terrible, so I ran back up to the third floor as fast as I could. I met with the neurosurgeon and he immediately told me that the surgery went great, and that there were no issues. The lady on the phone just took 5 years off of my life for no reason. Another 5 years would be shaved off overnight when we received a call at 3:00 a.m. 3:00 a.m phone calls are never good which is why Greta and I both darted out of bed and dashed for the phone. Greta got there first and had a conversation that seemed to go on for hours. I was sure that Niklas had taken a turn for the worse and that they were explaining the steps they were going to take to try and save him, if they even could. When Greta got off of the phone she informed me that Niklas was going to have to stay on the ventilator for another 12 hours or so and that they said that this is really nothing out of the ordinary. Another 5 years off of my life for nothing out of the ordinary. Today we visited Niklas and he was off the ventilator and on C-PAP. They said he could have went straight to cannula, but it's standard practice at U of M to go to C-PAP first. Niklas's recovery is really going well at this point and they think he might be shipped back to St. Joseph as soon as tomorrow. Finally, Floyd came home today and seemed to be pretty glad to see us. We haven't seen him since the morning of the 21st of December. He was really good around the babies and aside from giving them a sniff and a lick, he wasn't too interested in them. Thanks again to the Edwards family for coming to the hospital the night we delivered, going to our house and taking in our spastic dog for 2 1/2 months.


Anonymous said...

My heart skipped a beat FOR YOU when I read about those calls. Still don't know why they had to call you at 3:00 am to tell you all was well. I guess at the hospital, there really is no night and day. For a midnight shift, that was the middle of the afternoon. It's a good thing you are on your way to live to be 105 years old so what's shaving 10 years? I am so thankful that Niklas is recovering well. Floyd's world is going to change a bit! He'll soon have a lot more toys to chew on! My pets always loved the baby toys better than their own. Lisa Davis

Hanselman Family said...

PRAISE BE TO JESUS! Your babies are most defiantly being watched over by the Lord’s angels which are bolstered by many prayers.

Glad to hear Floyd is home. Mom [Doris] always loves to hear about the animals – NOT! She says, “Keep that dog away from those babies!” ;)

Blessings on your happy / chaotic home!

And, look! When the babies have you up early, you can call & chat to Lisa!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there. I miss you all terribly! I can't wait to come home and see my babies! I'm so glad to hear they are all doing so well, especially Niklas. Before you know it he'll be home and you'll be amazed at everything you've gone through the past 2 1/2 months. Our family is very blessed!

Love Auntie Sarah

Anonymous said...

As for the comment on the dog liking babies toys, I can tell you to watch where you put the pacifier - Winston just loves to eat and play with Dylan's paci. Of course, Dylan was not allowed to have a paci for sometime and you may feel the same now but eventually you probably will come to see its advantages.

Dylan was here about a week ago to visit and cody (the cate) came out of hiding long enough to take one look at him and go back upstairs to hide.

I hope you don't have any more time shaved off your life as I think these guys are going to need you for a very long time. I hope your hearts are strong and can handle all this stress. Keep up the good work and give those little ones a kiss for me.

Love you guys - take care, Aunt Nancy

Kevin Currie said...

Between those 10 years lost and the 20 or so you shaved off during college, you better start living life to the fullest. Cool that the family is starting to get all together. 1 more to go. Very cool man!

Rozey said...


I'm so sorry that I have not responded, but I have read some of the updates on here. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. It seems like things are starting to get better. I am happy the babies are starting to come home. It will all work out man. Take care, and I will talk to you soon.


Carrie Socia said...

Thinking about all of you daily! I am truly in awe of how wonderful the two of you are holding up... the 3 a.m. phone calls are enough to make you crazy. Looking forward to being able to bring Jacob over so he can entertain the little ones! Have a blessed night!